The Center for Continuing Adult Learning is dependent on people from all walks of life who are willing to share what they know, what they can do and what they love with other interested, curious and open-minded adults. Because our courses cover an enormous range of activities — mental, physical and creative — we call those who lead our activities Facilitators. Some teach, some demonstrate skills, others organize programs with outside speakers or arrange and lead field trips. Many of our Facilitators are retired professionals and many are devoted amateurs or hobbyists.
Facilitators are unpaid volunteers who offer to teach classes because they are passionate about a subject. Facilitators who are not members of CCAL may take two classes for each class they teach. They have great freedom in creating the courses they want to teach and when they wish to present them. They specify minimum and maximum numbers of participants. A course may be as short as a single 2-hour presentation or once a week for several weeks. Most classes, except outdoor activities, are assigned classroom space at the State University of New York at Oneonta, Hartwick College, The Plains at Parish Homestead or The First United Presbyterian (Red Door) Church. Normally, classes are held during daylight hours, Monday through Friday.
Course Proposals are approved by our Curriculum Committee, many of whom are facilitators themselves. Catalogs of the courses are distributed every March and October.
- The WINTER/SPRING Catalog includes courses given in January-May. It is compiled the summer before and distributed in October at the Annual Meeting.
- The SUMMER/FALL Catalog includes courses given in June-December. It is compiled during the winter and is distributed in March at the Spring Tea.
ARE YOU INTERESTED?
- Look over our current catalog to see the kinds of courses we are giving and the varied backgrounds of our facilitators.
- Contact a member of the Curriculum Committee to discuss what you have in mind.
- Download and review How to give a CCAL course
- Click on the following Web Course Proposal Page OR
- Download a Course Proposal Form or obtain a hard copy from the CCAL office or any member of the Curriculum Committee then
- give it to any member of the Curriculum Committee
- submit it by mail to: Curriculum Committee, The Center for Continuing Adult Learning, P.O. Box 546, Oneonta NY, 13820
- scan and email to email@example.com
- In accordance with college regulations facilitators cannot use a course to sell products or services.